The heritage British outerwear brand Aquascutum was established in the year of the great exhibition. Mayfair tailor, John Emary opened what was soon to become Aquascutum at 46 Regent Street. In 1853 after hitting the market with the first waterproof wool, he had his discovery patented and renamed the company. In 1901, Emary moved to 100 Regent Street in the heart of London and started to establish the brand as it is known today.
It was during the Great War that Emary's eye for design and sheer functionality was picked up on by the military. Officers fighting during the Great War took their Aquascutum raincoats with them. The waterproof fabric combined with the carefully placed flaps and panels made it perfect for the harsh conditions of the trenches. This marked the birth of the “trench coat” as we know it today, which soon went on to clothe the country’s most powerful public figures.